After completing Spirit Rock’s Dedicated Practitioner Program in 2007, she received authorization to teach from Rodney Smith of Seattle Insight (SIMS) and began offering meditation classes and retreats at SIMS, Mid-Columbia Insight (WA) and in the health care community, including participating in research and education on meditation and chronic pain, stress relief and substance addiction.
She completed additional teacher training with Noah Levine at Against the Stream and received her Certification in Mindfulness Facilitation from the UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC). She is also trained and authorized to teach the UCLA MARC Mindful Awareness Practices (MAPS I) program.
Now based in Southern California, Cheryl is a member of the Teachers Councils at Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Center, L.A., and Insight Community of the Desert, where she regularly teaches meditation and dharma classes and residential retreats nationally and internationally.
In the secular mindfulness world, Cheryl’s a guiding teacher with the online platform Mindful Schools, teaches mindfulness-based relapse prevention at Foundations Recovery Network and Refuge Recovery Center, and offers community mindfulness lectures and classes to the public most recently at Google LAX, the Hammer Museum, Campus Safety & Health national conference, Santa Monica Hospital and Otis College of Art and Design.
Cheryl is also a playwright and filmmaker working in documentary and narrative film and media. She’s co-executive producer of VisionLA Climate Action Arts, a nonprofit that engages the arts and entertainment communities in the sustainability movement. She is keenly interested in the promise of ethical mindfulness as a tool for social change, and has recently founded the Compassionate Action Group at Against the Stream. For more information about her film work please see skymindproductions.net.
What Cheryl offers
- Private individual meditation instruction and mentorship, either Buddhist-based or secular in format.
- Mindfulness classes for groups in diverse settings: business & corporate, conferences, academic/research, health and wellness, addiction recovery, community centers, social change and activism, education, creativity/arts, mindfulness in nature, and more.
- Mindfulness-based programs in stress reduction, working with difficult emotions (emotional intelligence), attention training, improved communication skills and creativity.
- Trained in UCLA introductory program Mindful Awareness Practices I (MAPS I); many custom programs of beginning to advanced levels also available.
- Half-day and daylong meditation retreats, residential retreats and custom workshops
- Dharma classes, dharma talks, Buddhist studies, sutta study. Lectures, one-time classes or multi-week classes.
Click here for more information on Cheryl’s upcoming class and retreat teaching schedule.
For inquiries about scheduling a group class, private instruction or retreat, please email: info@aMindfulLife.org.
Please join our mailing list using the form on the right to receive monthly updates on Cheryl’s upcoming offerings.